Welcome to Ditching Digital. An online journal of two friends, who together, are leaving their digital woes behind to discover a new world in film.

3 Frames In

My 42 year old mamiya c220 is putting me in my place. she has a couple of years on me plus she cannot be bullied. she works the way she works and that is THAT. so simple it is hard, so unlike digital it's mysterious, so fun it's intoxicating. i shot three frames and didn't even know it. HA! since we are documenting our journey from digital to film, i need to type this out, so i can look back in three months and see how far i have come. here are a few tidbits from the first three frames:
-these are straight scans. no post-processing whatsoever, except for sizing down and adding a watermark. 
-i hate photoshop and processing, so this is a really big deal for me.
-holding a rectangular box-style camera at waist level really makes me look cool. ;) so much cooler than -with the battery grip on my canon. just sayin....
-the camera has yet to have a name. need to get to know her better.
-we argued while loading my first roll. she won.
-it took me 5-10 minutes longer to compose and focus ONE image.
-what i see in the viewfinder is reversed. made me a bit dizzy going back and forth. (one reason it took so long to compose and focus.)
-i metered with a sekonic L-508. should have set it for incident, but it was on spot. oh well......
-i winged it with the first roll. literally just metered and shot. didn't think about what i was doing. just took what i already know and did it.
-i am addicted to the discipline, patience, trust, and mystery.
-i love medium format.
-i am better than i thought. which isn't saying much, but for me to say it is a big grown up step for me.
if these were processed at 1200, like ilford 3200 should be, they would probably look a lot better. lesson learned if i ever shoot this film again. i read that in a couple places, so it must be true.
my daughter is sick of me using her for target practice. all the years of digital have taken a toll on her too.
these were shot with a mamiya c220 twin lens reflex, ilford delta 3200 processed at 3200. f 2.8 with an 85mm lens.





thanks for reading!

0 comments:

Post a Comment